HANDLEBAR HAPPY HOUR
BIKEIOWA has organized several Handlebar Happy Hours (HHH) to celebrate Bike Month 2023. Ride with old friends and meet new ones. See YOU there!
Founder's Irish Pub
is our host for this Handlebar Happy Hour.
Situated right off the Chichaqua Bike Trail in Bondurant, Founder's Irish Pub provides an authentic atmosphere to enjoy the Emerald Isle's renowned spirits, favorite foods and live musical entertainment.
Lively and festive anytime of the day, Founder's Irish Pub is the perfect place to gather with friends or meet new people.
We're a casual "everybody's bar," where everyone will feel welcome and comfortable. A variety of menu items and a perfect pint of your favorite Irish beer await. 12 beers are available on tap with numerous other bottled beers and tons of liquors to choose from.
Stay until the end and win some HHH swag. Must be present to win!
More details coming soon!
IMPORTANT BIKE MONTH DATES
WHAT IS BIKE MONTH?May is National Bike Month and is celebrated in communities from coast to coast. Established in 1956, National Bike Month is a chance to showcase the many benefits of bicycling and encourage more folks to giving biking a try.
BIKEIOWA co-hosted the first organized "Bike to Work Day" on May 16th 2003
. That grew to "Bike to Work Week" in 2005
and the Des Moines Bicycle Collective took over in 2011
to create "Bike Month" (with focus in the Des Moines metro) as we know it today. View past Bike to Work
and "Bike Month
HOW TO CELEBRATE BIKE MONTH?Bike Month is so much more than riding your bike to work.
- It's about riding from here to there. Riding around the block, riding to get coffee, riding to work, date-night ride, riding on a trail or road, riding to get/stay in shape or running errands.
- It's about inspiration - riding further and encouraging others to bike.
- It's about riding your bike whether if be for fun, fitness or with family and/or friends.
- It's about riding your bike places it’s never seen or take your bike places you’d usually see by car.
- It's about your wellness, happiness and community well-being.
- It's about safer streets and connected communities and a healthier planet
- It's about exploration and finding new ways to get from here to there.
Invite friends and co-workers to ride with you. Help them get their bike, clothes and gear ready. Offer advice and assistance to increase their confidence. Educate them on bicycle etiquette for riding on trails, roads, with other cyclists, motorists and others on the trails. And have Fun!
Iowa is a GREAT place to ride ALL year long and BIKEIOWA has several dedicated pages in their "Resources" menu section for commuting and promoting bicycle-friendliness.